PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, October 18, 2010

More on the Food Group...

I know, those who don't contribute shouldn't take any credit...and honestly- I won't. Melissa is the genius behind all of this and I am amazed at her ability to keep up with everything. The only reason why I am finally adding a couple cents here is cause I'm NOT cleaning my closet like I should be! I thought I'd share a little more today about the food group, and entice you all with a few of our upcoming meals!
So, my day is Wednesday. We only have meals Monday through Thursday, so no one is stuck with a weekend, and if we want to go out we can. Not to mention the amount of left-overs in the fridge! There are actually dishes that "belong" to the food group as a whole. We all contributed, but the dishes actually rotate each day- it makes so much more sense than trying to figure out another way! There is a 9x13 pan with a lid, an 8x11 pan with a lid (purchased together), 2 quart sized gladware containers with lids, and 1 small gladware with a lid that is big enough only for condiments or sauces. On my day, I make my dinner, fill the dishes I need to fill and if some are empty, they still get delivered with the others.
We do a menu once every 2 to 3 months. Can you imagine having 3 months of dinners planned out? It's amazing! And we've been doing it long enough that we very rarely repeat a recipe in all that time! We plan each day, a main dish, and 2 side dishes. Last week, I made homemade meatballs, homemade macaroni and cheese and pistachio pudding salad...hmmmm comfort food anyone? We had crockpot french dip sandwiches, with chips and veggies, and chicken noodle soup with bread bowls and a dessert. I can't even tell you how wonderful everything is!
There is a learning curve. We have trial and error on recipes and opinions are welcome. No one wants a load of food their kids or husband won't eat! Being nice is one thing- we've learned not to get too offended when our food isn't liked- and it's happened to all of us! I'm sure, if you are interested, there will be more questions, but I thought I'd leave a recipe until next time... one of our favorites!

HAM & SWISS ROLLS

24 rolls
mayonnaise
12 thick slices deli ham (black forest)
12 slices Swiss cheese
1/2 c. melted butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp. poppy seeds

Slice rolls in half so they open. Spread mayo on top and bottom of the inside of each roll. Assemble rolls with ½ slice of cheese and ½ slice of ham. Place all of these in a baking pan or stone. Mix together the melted butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and poppy seeds with a whisk. Brush this mixture all over the tops of the rolls and cover with tin foil. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until heated through.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...