PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Temptation Tuesdays....The Best Croutons Ever!

Anyone out there watch the show Desperate Housewives?  I'm not a die hard fan but every once in a while I enjoy watching it.  A couple of seasons ago I was laughing at an episode where a new lady that had moved to "the lane" was making fun of Bree for making her own croutons.  I thought, if she only knew how easy and scrumptious homemade croutons are she wouldn't be making fun of it!  By making them yourself you can control the size and flavor.  They don't take much more than 10 minutes to prep and I never use them all in one sitting (although my kids snack on them so they don't usually last more than one day).  Are you ready for this simple idea?

  Here's what you need:
one loaf french bread
one stick melted butter
desired seasoning.....I prefer garlic salt

Cut up your bread to the desired size pieces.  I like mine a little bigger because they get crunchy on the outside but stay a little chewy in the middle.


Lightly dip one side of the bread pieces in your melted butter and gently wipe the excess off on the side of the bowl to help your butter last longer.  Place on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle with your seasoning.  If you are making garlic flavored croutons I prefer the 'Course Ground' or 'California Style' depending on the brand.  These will have little flecks of parsley.  Do NOT use garlic powder.



Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes.  If you want them chewy, cook a little less.  Want them crunchy?  Cook a little longer.  You get the idea.

When lightly browned take from oven and toss with your favorite salad!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...